President Donald Trump on Saturday said he plans to raise the worldwide tariff rate from 10% to 15%, sharply criticizing a recent US Supreme Court decision that struck down much of his earlier tariff regime.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the increase would take effect immediately and argued that many countries had been “ripping” off the United States for decades.
“Based on a thorough, detailed, and complete review of the ridiculous, poorly written, and exceptionally anti-American decision on Tariffs issued yesterday, after MANY months of contemplation, by the United States Supreme Court, please let this statement serve to represent that I, as President of the United States of America, will be, effective immediately, raising the 10% Worldwide Tariff on Countries, many of which have been “ripping” the US off for decades, without retribution (until I came along!), to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level,” Trump said in the post.
Add Zee News as a Preferred Source
Trump added that his administration would, in the coming months, determine and issue additional legally permissible tariffs as part of a broader push to strengthen US trade policy and advance his “Make America Great Again” agenda.
“During the next short number of months, the Trump Administration will determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs, which will continue our exceptionally successful process of Making America Great Again – GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE,” he added in the post.
The remarks came after the US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 ruling on February 20, struck down most of Trump’s sweeping tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977.
Following the judgment, Trump announced a new 10% global tariff through executive action under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which allows temporary tariffs for up to 150 days without congressional approval.
Reacting to the developments, India’s Ministry of Commerce and Industry said it is closely examining both the Supreme Court ruling and the subsequent announcements from Washington.
“We have noted the US Supreme Court judgment on tariffs yesterday. President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. Some steps have been announced by the US Administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” the ministry said in a statement.
The court decision comes just days after the United States and India unveiled a framework for an interim trade agreement aimed at making bilateral trade more balanced and mutually beneficial.
Contact to : xlf550402@gmail.com
Copyright © boyuanhulian 2020 - 2023. All Right Reserved.